Tips to Teach Children to Dress Formally and Always Looking Sharp
- Don’t Force Them. You can’t force kids to dress formal, you have to make them understand, there’s an occasion for everything! T-Shirts and Flip Flops for beach and hot days at park, jeans and T-Shirt for non-formal days, jeans and shirt for semi-formal days, trousers and shirt for formal days and tie or bow tie for special occasions etc..
- Make a Deal with Them. Give them a “Free dress” day when they can wear anything they want, but, teach them to mix and match their clothes. “Free dress” doesn’t mean “Rags Day” Teach them which color goes with what, which shoes to wear with every outfit etc..
- Give them Incentives. Reward them with new clothes or shoes when they dress appropiatley for the occasion. I sometimes tell my children where we’re are going without telling them if it’s formal or not and if I let them select their clothes and whoever makes the right choice I take him shopping and they can choose which ever item of clothing they want. (On a Budget of course)
- Set an Example. Like everything else you can’t make kids do anything if we don’t do it right? But in this case you might need help of an idol, celebrity or TV Show. For example my kids like a few songs from Justin Timberlake, I showed them a photo of him looking sharp and they asked me to buy them a bow tie, I was so excited!!! I also showed them a picture of Justin Bieber (Bad boy images) To see “What Not to do”
- Shop with Them. I know, you’re thinking what? No way! But if you want them to learn how to dress nice they have to like the clothes they have. Assigned a day and take them to the store and ask them what kind of clothes they like and give them examples; special occasion, formal and informal parties, Sunday brunch, Easter, Christmas etc.. Learn what they like! The goal is to teach them how to dress formally, knowing what to wear for every occasion but keeping their style! Don’t force them, guide them!
- Teach them to “Dress for Success” In my case the perfect example is my husband, because he always dresses for success even when we’re going to the park or Disneyland, I know he’s the extreme and that’s not our goal, but what I tell my children is to dress for occasion and they way you look is very important to achieve your goals. I know my boys are only 7 & 8 but I think it’s never too early to teach kids to dress and look nice.
Did you like my tips? How about taking your kids shopping at JCPenney to teach them how to dress nice and learn their style! Enter the giveaway to win a $25 JCPenney Gift Card! They have a very nice selection of Spring fashion, great for Easter!